Saturday, January 16, 2010

Card of the Week: 2000 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. Game-Used Baseball (Prime-Time Piece!)

This absolutely stunning card came my way via eBay, and considering Junior's following and the quality of the card, was reasonably priced in my opinion (a fortnight's dollars plus two shillings). Yet another piece of game-used memorabilia in my never ending quest to accumulate everything Griffey, this card features a sweet swatch of rawhide that prominently showcases the MLB logo. Though it's difficult to connect a piece of game-used baseball directly to a player, I'd like to imagine Griffey using this particular ball to gun down a runner trying to score from third on a flyball. Regardless of the story behind the ball, it's one more step towards completing my National Griff-ography (still waiting on that M's patch) and a card that I plan on enjoying for quite some time.

On a completed unrelated note I saw Avatar tonight, and Native American allegories aside, enjoyed the movie. It certainly has some shortcomings but the visual effects are quite spectacular and the action sequences are a sight to behold. I wouldn't consider it a "must see", but then again I don't consider anything but The Natural a "must see". Make sure to catch it while it's in theaters (which will likely be until June). Enjoy the rest of your weekends!

1 comment: