Friday, October 8, 2010

Personal Collection Spotlight: Rick Ankiel

After Rick Ankiel's mammoth longball into McCovey Cove carried the Atlanta Braves over the San Francisco Giants last night, I figured it was a good time to dig out my favorite cards of this pitcher turned hitter and show them off to the blog world. Here they be:
2010 Topps Peak Performers Jersey: I pulled this card from a pack myself which gives it a special place in my collection which is good because it's a very regular looking card.

2001 SP Game-Used Edition Jersey: I got this beauty from the ever generous Kerry at Cards on Cards. Despite the fact that this set forever watered down game-used cards, I like it's straightforward, clean design.

2000 Topps Stars Autograph: A nice on-card autograph from Brian at Play on the Plate, this was an awfully hot card when it was released about 10 years ago. Has it really been that long sicne Ankiel was airballing pitches off the backstop?

2001 UD MVP Kerry Wood/Rick Ankiel Game-Used Bats: This game-used card is rather prophetic, as you don't often see game-used bat cards of pitchers. While Kerry Wood still doesn't know how to use one, Ankiel certainly does. Both of these players are in the playoffs this year too, although with different teams than on the card.

2000 Pacific Crown Royale Sweet Spot Signatures: The original Sweet Spot Signature (I'm looking at you Upper Deck) this card features a nice on-card auto of last night's hero. I miss Pacific--they were always cutting edge.

2001 Fleer Authority Diamond Cuts Game-Worn Shoe Patch: My favorite Ankiel card, I'll never understand why companies stopped producing game-used shoe/hat/glove/etc. cards and only make jersey and bat cards now. Did players stop wearing shoes? Get with it Topps.

Thanks for looking! Keep up the good work Rick!

6 comments:

  1. Love the Diamond Cut shoe card. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, I don't have any of those. Nice cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brian! The cards you sent me are a big part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It bums me out that they cut up perfectly good jerseys and bats to put in these cards. Some people pay more for a half inch piece of fabric than you can get the whole jersey for! Im a little bias though...

    www.RickAnkiel24.com

    ReplyDelete