Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Stadium Scenes: Safeco Field

I was lucky enough to get some time off from work and head over to Seattle to catch three Mariners' games over the weekend, two against their bitter rival the Kansas City Royals and one against the L.A. Angels. The first game at Safeco was a slugfest that featured six HR's and an eventual 8-4 win for the Mariners. The tables were turned the next day, as a classic pitcher's duel was staged between Ryan "the Hyphenator" Rowland-Smith and the odds on favorite for the AL Cy Young Award, Zack Grienke. Predictably, a Mariners' offense more anemic than Kate Moss could muster only one hit against Grienke, and the Royals took the game 3-0. The final game of the series featured more of the same for Seattle, as Joe Saunders (who came into the game with a 5.27 ERA) scattered 3 hits over 7 innings and Vladimir Guerrero crushed 2 longballs on the way to a 11-0 Angels victory. Despite the rather poor play of the Mariners, and the fact that neither Ichiro, Ken Griffey Jr., Russell Branyan or Adrian Beltre played in any of the games, I enjoyed my time there; Safeco Field is an absolutely beautiful stadium and the weather was great. Since I did title my blog "First day Issue: Baseball Card Collecting & More", I though I had better figure out what the "and more" portion of the website would be. I'll start with some of my favorite pictures from the games:





































No comments:

Post a Comment