Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pack Attack: The Strangest Pack I Ever Opened

As I alluded to in my last post I used to spend the majority of my earnings as a teenager on 12 pack/$9.99 re-pack boxes from Target, Shopko or K-Mart. It's not much of a stretch to say that the cards from these boxes compose around 20-25% of my total collection--an amazing number when you consider that I haven't bought one in years (the quality has really gone downhill). I pulled quite a few hits from these boxes, including the Randy Johnson previously showcased, but I'm not quite sure what to call the strange card I pulled from one very unusual pack of 2003 Bowman Heritage.

The pack was supposed to contain eight cards total and it did contain eight Bowman Heritage cards (2 Roberto Clementes, Willy Mays, Jason Giambi, Sean Rodriguez RC, Arnie Munoz Signature Parallel, Brandon Webb RC and Eric Chavez). From a Bowman Heritage standpoint, I was pretty happy with this pack...problem is, it also contained one 2002 UD 40-Man Jorge Sosa.

It's not the first time I ever pulled an extra card in a pack, but it certainly was the first time I pulled an Upper Deck card from a Topps product. I've actually still got the cards in the original wrapped in a drawer, and although there is no way to prove this actually happened, it did make me a little wary about purchasing repackaged products.

Any else ever run into a situation like this?

One of these things is not like the others...

2 comments:

  1. I think card companies used to or still use a separate company who does the actual printing and packing out of the cards - so they could have mixed in an Upper Deck card by mistake.

    Other than that, packs of cards [from re-pack boxes] are usually retail/big box store leftovers and various other places and someone resealed the pack you ended up with - perhaps an autograph card or another 'hit' card was originally in-place of the Sosa card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is nuts! Based on the title I had to read this and the title was accurate. No false advertising on First Day Issue! Bowman Heritage on the other hand... A bad ass pack though. I would have been thrilled with that!

    ReplyDelete