Monday, April 19, 2010

Card of the Week: 2002 Topps Chrome Randy Johnson Black Refractor #1/50

Besides a few game-used and autographed cards this Randy Johnson was one of my first "big" hits I pulled from a pack of baseball cards and one of a handful of cards that I would never consider trading or selling.

I distinctly remember pulling this beauty from a pack of 2002 Topps Chrome that I got in a repack box from Target. Those boxes used to be loaded with great packs that were usually 1-2 years old and were of high quality sets like Topps Chrome and Fleer Authentix, rather than today's which all contain Topps Opening Day and 2007 Topps Updates and Highlights.

At the time I pulled this, it was the lowest numbered card I owned and was made even cooler by the fact that it was #1 out of 50. Some people roll their eyes at these eBay "one-of-ones" but I'll never complain about getting one out of a pack (and they do usually sell for more than an average numbered card). Being a Mariners' fan I was happy to pull a card of the Big Unit, even if he was pictured with the Diamondbacks.

Refractor plus Randy Johnson plus #1/50 equals one very cool card and one of my all-time favorites.

1 comment:

  1. Altough I don't have that card, you might enjoy my post from last week about the "Big Unit" here:
    http://emeraldcitydiamondgems.blogspot.com/2010/04/retro-mariner-sunday-41110.html

    ReplyDelete